Go Ye Therefore
The Law of Connection Part 16
Paul Effective in Athens-Acts 17:22-34
Peter, Stephen, and Paul all practiced the Law of Connection in the four sermons that Luke records (Acts 2:14-36; 7:2-53; 13:16-41; 17:22-31). The one Paul delivered in Acts 17 is a masterpiece. He connected brilliantly with people from a different culture, showing he understood both Greek society and human needs. Read his message and watch a master communicator in action:
- He began with affirmation (v. 22).
- He bridged his subject with the familiar (v 23).
- He enlarged their vision of God (vv. 24, 25).
- He used inclusive language (v. 26).
- He gave them encouragement and hope (v. 27).
- He identified with some of their own poets (v. 28).
- He gave them specific action steps (vv. 29-31).
Effective leaders connect before they expect. Only when Paul had built relational bridges with the people, did he issue a clear call to repent. Connection precedes decision. And what happened? According to text, everyone acted. Some sneered at Paul; others said they wanted to hear more; and others followed immediately (vv. 32-34).
Join me next time for The Law of Connection Part 17