Go Ye Therefore
The Law of Connection Part 19
Empowerment Precedes Imperative-Ephesians 1:1-14
Because Paul believes he needs to give before he asks, he reminds us of our choice position in Christ: chosen (Eph. 1:4); predestined (1:5); accepted (1:6); redeemed (1:7); informed (1:9); heirs (1:11); and sealed (1:13). He declares what God has done for us before demanding we do anything for Him.
Paul Mentors-1 Thessalonians 2:7-12
Although Paul had met with this young church only three Sabbaths, he longed for them like a parent longs for child. As Paul mentored his “children,” he developed a parental, coaching relationship with them. Note how he describes this relationship:
- We were like a gentle, nurturing mother to you (v. 7).
- We shared not only the good news, but also our very lives (v. 8).
- We worked hard not to burden you with our needs (v. 9).
- We strove to be an example while among you (v. 10).
- We dealt with you as a father deals with his children (v. 11).
- We encouraged you to live up to your potential as God’s children (v. 12).
Relationships grow stronger when those involved share common experiences (vv. 17-20); continual encouragement (vv. 2, 6, 7, 9); concerned expressions (vv. 1, 3-5); and challenging expectations (vv. 8, 10-13). Good relationships both comfort and stretch.
Join me next time for The Law of Connection Part 20